The present church of Kymi is the second oldest building still in use in Kotka. It was completed in 1850 and inaugurated at midsummer 1851. The church was built following C. L. Engel's designs. In pure neoclassical empire style, it was built using wood and stone. The colours follow C. L. Engel's plans. The church tower is 34 metres high, and the church bells were built for the church of Forsby ironworks in Pernaja in 1736 and subsequently purchased to Kymi. The nave is 14 metres high, with seating available for 790 people in the church. The chandeliers are made of Bohemian crystal. The oldest and one closest to the altar dates back to 1790 and the others to 1814. The altarpiece, Jesus in Gethsemane, was painted by professor Berndt Godenhjelm in 1865. Large glass candlesticks on the altar table were donated by the workers of Karhula Glass Factory in 1901. The church was renovated to celebrate its centenary, and the arched vault was embellished with reliefs by sculptor Aarre Aaltonen: the Sermon on the Mount, the Good Shepherd, the Holy Night and Allow Little Children to Come. The present organ, featuring a set of 43 organ stops, was consecrated for use at Advent 1991. They were manufactured by Danish organ builders Bruno Cristensen & Sönner Orgelbryggeri.
Kymi Church is part of the national roadside church chain www.taivaallinentaukopaikka.fi/
The Old Cemetery and the Cemetery for Fallen Soldiers
The oldest gravestones of the Kymi Old Cemetery date back to the early 19th century. Beautiful memorials with their epitaphs in Finnish, Swedish, German and Russian tell their story of the local history and influential families and people in Kymi.
The Cemetery for Fallen Soldiers of Kymi rests against a vertical rock wall. The jagged, relief-like surface of the rock wall symbolising eternity is like a nature's work of art. The burial field and place of remembrance are situated adjacent to the rock. The area was designed by architect Hilding Ekelund. His expression “simple grandeur” is realised in this unique way.