The museum is located in a building dating from about 1760 known as “Catherine's Palace” because the Russian Empress Catherine the Great and the Swedish King Gustav III spent three days conferring there in 1783. The building has housed the City Museum since 1957.
The permanent exhibition presenting the colourful history of the fortress town is supplemented by temporary displays. The upper floor is a characterful setting for workshops and events and is also hired to outsiders for meetings.
Opening hours 3.1.-31.5.2018:
Wed 14-18 free entrance, Thu-Sat 12–16, Sun-Thu closed
Open for groups outside of working hours email@example.com