Medieval granite church
Dating back to around 1460, the Pyhtää Church was built at the junction of the Pyhtää branch of the River Kymijoki and the Great Shore Road from Turku to Vyborg, the King's Road. The interior architecture of the church is of high quality and impressive to view, and with its special pillars and vault solutions it is certainly worth visiting. The vaults of the three-nave church hall and the walls feature medieval decorative painting. The north wall of the church has an illustration, nearly seven metres high, of Saint Christopher, the patron saint of all travellers. Medieval decoration is preserved in the altarpiece and five wooden sculptures, the oldest and most original of which is Saint Henry. The church tower was built in the 1820s.