Finnish Transport Safety Agency “Trafi”
Trafi develops the safety of the transport system, promotes environmentally friendly transport solutions and is responsible for transport system regulatory duties.
- issues permits, regulations, approvals and decisions and prepares legal rules regarding the transport sector;
- arranges examinations, handles transport sector taxation and registration, and provides reliable information services;
- oversees the transport market as well as compliance with rules and regulations governing the transport system;
- participates in international co-operation;
- ensures the functionality of the transport system even in emergency conditions and when normal operations are disrupted;
- creates opportunities for innovative development of intelligent transport;
- informs the public of transport-related choices.
When is car tax collected?
In Finland, car tax is collected on passenger cars, delivery vans and buses with an unladen weight of less than 1 875 kg, as well as on motorcycles and other category L vehicles (e.g. ATVs). Car tax must be paid before registration and use in Finland. An exception to this are specific cases of temporary tax-exempt use.
Vehicles imported from outside the EU are subject to an additional customs duty and import VAT. More information on import taxation.